Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We have squash

Yes, that's right. The highlight of my evening a few nights ago was to discover that there was, indeed, a squash growing on our vine. While I realize this is exactly what you would want to have growing on a squash vine, I was uncertain if we were going to have any squash to harvest or not--our crop got off to a rough start. Our neighbors have amazing squash growing, literally, 10 feet from our squash vines, and I've developed quite the case of "squash envy" watching multiple squash appear on her vines. So, I am thrilled to have some of our own!

Saturday evening, on our nightly jaunt through our garden, in addition to rejoicing over our lone squash, we noticed that the peaches on the tree bordering our property are ready for picking. I confirmed this by sampling some, just to be sure--it doesn't get much fresher than that! As to whose tree it actually is, we decided that the peaches growing on our side of the tree would be ours--seems reasonable, right? We had already purchased some peaches and plums at the farmer's market that morning. So--what'ts a girl to do with lots of fresh peaches? Make baby food of course!

They went from this...


...to this...


...and finally...



I have just enough peaches left to make peach crisp--yum! I just need to get to the grocery store, so that I can finish the crisp off with some vanilla ice cream. Can you think of a better summer treat?! It makes my mouth water to think about it!

No comments: