Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The one where all my babies took a nap at the same time, and I should have joined them, but instead I wrote a blog post.

All my babies are asleep right now. I almost don't know what to do with myself!

So, I've decided that I'll blog for a moment.

Here's life for us lately:


photography by Ryan Beard
Dandelions and baby smiles.

We're excited to print these pictures off, so that there will be photographic evidence in this house that Ruby exists. At the rate we're going, she's going to come to me in a puddle of hormonal tears when she's 13, convinced that she was really adopted, and we just haven't told her yet.

Anyway.

Ruby is almost five months old.

We've lived in our new house just slightly longer than that, but not long enough for Brynne and Hadley to stop referring to it as "The New House".

Every day I fight this battle with restlessness, because there are a million and five things on my list of things to do.

Here's one of my flower gardens:


Here's our house:


It's amazing. Built in 1867, it's all my Laura-Ingalls-Wilder-Anne-of-Green-Gables-The-Secret-Garden-Downton-Abbey dreams realized.

It's also a lot of work.

The garden is a weed-fest, and the floors of my house are currently covered in a layer of sawdust, because we are having air conditioning put in this week.

So, when I get to the Jessie-Spano-caffine-pill-freak-out moment of realizing I can't do it all...



...I have to remind myself that there will always be something to do in this house, and with our five-acre yard. 

But. 

My worth and value is not determined by how many weeds are in my garden, or how diligently I sweep up behind the air-conditioning-installer people. 

I am enough. We have enough. Weedy gardens and all. 

Then I go back to enjoying baby smiles and dandelions.

I hope you're finding dandelions and baby smiles in your day (sometimes they're hard to find when you have sawdusty floors). 

P.S. The series finale of Saved By The Bell was 20 years ago today. That makes me feel old. 

Okay.

Back to dandelions and baby smiles. 


2 comments:

Liesl said...

Love the pics of the house...the babies.....your smile....all of it! Enjoy - this time in life is gone too fast and you will only remember the baby smiles and dandelions. Worth every minute!!!
Liesl

B. said...

I love the garden and the house too! (Anne of Green Gables is still a favourite of mine.) Who has time to weed with a baby and two kids? I only have two kids and the dandelions are mocking me right now from the yard.