Monday, April 26, 2010

Going mobile




This past week was pretty exciting for us! The girls slept for seven to eight hours at a time each night, AND--we went mobile! While we appreciate and revel in the extra sleep we are getting, we also recognize that at 11 weeks of age, this is most likely a fleeting event, so we are acknowledging it for the gift that it is for as long as it lasts. This whole mobile thing though--this was an exciting moment in mommyhood for me!


The girls and I have gone on lots of walks, but we had yet to get in the car, and get out in a different location. Earlier in the week I met a friend at a local park across town with great success, so on Friday I decided that it was time to try shopping with the girls. My body literally hummed with excitement as I got myself and the girls ready to go! Friday was a dreary, rainy day, so I checked the hour by hour feature on weather.com, which said I would be clear to go for the next couple of hours. I loaded up the stroller, the reusable shopping bags and the girls and we were off!


We got to the parking lot of the grocery store, and I was careful to park with two open spots on either side of the car, so that I could open the doors all the way, and push the stroller right up to the car. Just as I was loading my second daughter into the stroller, the sky opened up in a torrential downpour--so much for weater.com's accuracy. Our stroller is very much waterproofed, so the girls stay relatively dry, Mama, on the other hand was not so dry.
Shopping was a success! I intentionally chose a noisy grocery store for our first outing, so as to disrupt shoppers as little as possible. The girls only fussed for a moment, then spent the rest of the time looking around at all the bright lights. Hadley even fell asleep. I filled my basket (the days of pushing a cart on my solo shopping trips are over for me awhile), checked out and headed out. People stopped to check out the girls and make comments, but no one touched them--thank goodness!
Getting back out to the car, it was still raining--hard. Leaving the aforementioned spots on either side of the car meant parking a distance away. One of the store employees offered to watch the girls while I went and got the car--really, leave them with a stranger?! Thanks, but no. So--we got wet again. As I lifted Hadley out of her seat a few drops splashed on her face and she flinched jerking violently and making a very funny face. Poor girl--what an awful way to wake up!
So--our first shopping trip was not without hiccups, but we are mobile now, and THAT is a good feeling!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Julia,
I love to read your posts. Even to an "experienced" mom of 10 years I find your posts very helpful as well as entertaining. Even only being a mom for 11 weeks, you are off to a great start!!!!