Thursday, December 30, 2010

There Was One in the Bed...

Since day one our girls have slept together in the same crib. It made for some pretty precious photo ops, wouldn't you agree?


Tomorrow, the days of girls snuggling in their crib will come to an end. We're dividing up the binks and giving them each their own crib. Honestly, I'm a little choked up about it. We gave it a good run--almost 11 months.

The need for this transition became very clear to us the other night as Brynne's muffled screams erupted from their bedroom. As Hadley fought sleep, she apparently thought smashing her sister's face into the mattress, in order to practice standing up, seemed like a swell idea. Poor Brynne. As we rescued her from being smothered for the second time, Brad and I looked at each other, and said, "I think it might be time...." Sad!

Later that same night when we went in their room to make sure they were alright, we saw just about the funniest thing ever--I wish we'd taken a picture, but we didn't want to wake them up. Brynne was laying on her back, and Hadley was on her stomach, laying across Brynne with her bottom sticking up in the air, so that their bodies made an X. I have no idea how in the world they could have fallen asleep that way! We did move Hadley off of Brynne--that just shows you how used to each other they are.

Hadley is a snuggle bug, always has been--I think she would crawl inside her sister's sleep sack, if that was possible. I worry about how she will adapt to not having Brynne's warm body there to cuddle with. We are hopeful that they (and I) will weather this transition well. 

If anyone has any tips on how to make this easier on them (or me), I'm all ears! 

8 comments:

Kendra said...

Oh Julia! How sad!!!! It's the end of an era...=(

But yes, it sounds like it's time.

We separated Luke and Abbey at 4 months, when we broke them of their swaddle. Luckily at that time they weren't TOO attached to cuddling together, since they had been swaddled and therefor unable to REALLY snuggle. But, it was still sad for me.

I look forward to the day when they are standing in their cribs, and can wake up and stand and look and talk with each other =)

I will be praying for you guys as you transition...

Jennifer said...

I've been here! At 4 months, I moved my son out of his twin sister's room because she didn't like to sleep and he did! I used the sleep sack to "cuddle" them in their separate beds. They've been SO much happier since they sleep differently. You will survive this!

Tasia said...

Hello!
I'm following via bloghopalooza.

Your girls are so precious! I bet they're the best of friends! I hope the transitioning goes well for you guys.

~tasia
http://tayirl.blogspot.com
http://tayirlreads.blogspot.com {book reviews}

Amy said...

I too moved the twins into separate cribs at 4 months- since then we have had a few configurations of the cribs- side by side, head to head, an L shape- across the room from each other was the worse because they would scream at each other across the room. They still pass things back and forth and show each other some love over the top (when side to side) Those are the times I wish video monitors took pictures.

Blogs said...

it's so funny how kids fall asleep. twins are so lucky to have one another....sounds like you'll need to adjust along with them-maybe switch outfits so they won't feel alone but they will know they are not together any longer so you might as well keep em' close to the hip....i'm sorry i have no advice, i know i suck...best wishes:) happy new year as well....and that most viewed post is for obvious reasons:) enjoy the day

Mika said...

So cute!
Hi,
I'm following from the blog hop.
I'd love a follow back at www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Mika

Mika said...

So cute!
Hi,
I'm following from the blog hop.
I'd love a follow back at www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Mika

Tasia said...

Hello!
I'm following via bloghopalooza.

Your girls are so precious! I bet they're the best of friends! I hope the transitioning goes well for you guys.

~tasia
http://tayirl.blogspot.com
http://tayirlreads.blogspot.com {book reviews}