Saturday, May 8, 2010

Do You Know the Muffin Man?

I am ever in search of ways to make my life easier. Each day I attempt to eat oatmeal in order to build up my milk supply. In a previous post I mentioned that I'd made some Lactation Cookies to help build up my milk supply, which are made largely with oatmeal, a food known to increase the milk supply of a lactating mom. This got me thinking about other ways that I could ingest oatmeal. With two babies to look after it's not always easy for me to prepare and eat oatmeal the traditional way. I have nightmares about hot foods and/or beverages falling on the girls and burning them, so I generally steer clear of all that stuff when I'm holding them, which is most of the time.



When the girls were new, a friend brought over these great muffins--full of nutritious goodness, including oatmeal. They are the perfect breakfast or snack for me, and I can grab and eat them while the girls eat. That cookie recipe got me thinking, and I decided that I would modify her muffin recipe just a bit, so that they could be lactation muffins, full of even more lactogenic (yes, that is a word) ingredients. Here's the recipe, and an explanation of each ingredient's benefits to the lactating mom.



4 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil****
2 tsp vanilla
1 medium carrot peeled and grated*
1 large apple or pear peeled and grated
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sweetened coconut
1/2 cup oats**
3 T brewer's yeast***
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal****
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger*****
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Fill muffin trays to the top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

*Carrots contain beta-carotene needed in extra amounts during lactation. They also contain phytoestrogens, which support breastfeeding

**Oats increase milk production

***Brewer's yeast has been known to boost milk supply, contains phytoestrogens, and is a good source of protein.

****Healthy fats such as those found in flaxseed meal and olive oil help to keep a good composition of fat in the breastmilk.

*****Ginger helps with letdown and milk flow.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi, I'm a twin mom to two girls - they are 7 wks old. I came across your blog and wanted to share what my dr. told me last week. She had another twin mom patient who also wanted to increase her milk supply and said that Ovaltine (sp?) did the trick for her. Might be worth a shot?!

Julia said...

Ovaltine--awesome! I'm totally going to give it a shot. Thanks!