Saturday, May 8, 2010

Milk n' Cookies

For those of you who know me, you know that I'm breastfeeding my girls. This has not been an easy task for me. Some women are blessed with an abundance of milk--I am not one of those people. I've had to work very hard to build up a supply that will adequately nourish both girls. I'm finally at the point where my body is doing a pretty good job keeping up with their demand, but there is always room for improvement.

I read http://www.kellymom.com/ all the time searching for different things I can do to build up my milk supply. I take two different kinds of herbs multiple times a day, my doctor has written me prescriptions, I eat oatmeal constantly, I drink copious amounts of Mother's Milk tea and have even resorted to sprinkling brewer's yeast on my cereal (I don't recommend this)--all for the sake of producing more milk.

Yesterday I saw something on a message board I belong to about Lactation Cookies. I thought this sounded like a very pleasant way to potentially boost my milk supply, so I decided to give them a whirl. My verdict--they taste pretty darn good (I couldn't even taste the brewer's yeast in them)! The only downside, is that for best results they recommend eating four cookies per day. That is a lot of extra calories for those of us who are trying to return to our pre-pregnancy bodies. I have several friends who have had/are having babies, and I figure I can take some over to each of these ladies. Note* My husband has sampled my baking, as of yet he has not started to lactate, so I think it's safe for non-milk producing people to enjoy them as well.



Here's the recipe for those of you who would like to try to make them yourselves:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 T water
2 T flaxseed meal
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cup thick cut oats
1 cup chocolate chips (you can sub. M&Ms)--I always add extra
2 T brewer's yeast

375 degrees drop on baking sheet covered in parchment paper for 8-10 minutes

No comments: