Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mama Loves

I recently told a bloggy friend of mine that blogging has made me a better mama.

Really!

I have learned so much from other mama bloggers.

I've learned that many of the struggles, challenges and joys we mamas face are universal. There's camaraderie in that--having a shared experience. I've also learned about great toys, books and gear to help me along the way.

 
photo credit

When I first started blogging, I made this gigantic list of stuff that I thought was the most useful stuff for expectant twin mamas to put on their registries. The girls were only a few months old when I wrote it, so being a bit more seasoned now, I'm not sure that list would look the same if I wrote it today.

My intention in writing the list, was to encourage and give advice to future twin mamas, who, maybe like me, walked in to Babies R Us, and hyperventilated from the bazillion choices that store holds.

Over the past months there have been toys or books or baby gear that I've thought: I bet this would be helpful for some mama somewhere to know about. 

So, I came up with Mama Loves.

Every Saturday I will post Mama Loves: one or several things that have helped make "mama-ing" just that much better during the week.

I realize, that what I have to say isn't going to be helpful for all mamas. So that's where you come in, dear readers! (I'm super excited about this!)

Here's how I'd love to see this work:

Each week share with us:
  • a toy or book that captivates your child(ren)
  • gear you just can't live without
  • a recipe your choosy toddler gobbles down
  • a parenting book that you've found perspective changing 
  • an activity that wears your kid out
  • an outfit that flatters your post-baby body and makes you feel fabulous
You can tell us about one or many of your Mama Loves.

To share your wisdom with us, you can do one of two things:
  1. Link up a blog post with your Mama Loves here.
  2. Leave your Mama Loves in the comment section.
My hope is that this will be both encouraging and helpful to all mamas out there, and that this can be a sisterhood of women supporting each other through this journey of motherhood, no matter what stage of mama-ing you're in.

You don't even need to be a mama to participate. If you of know of something genius and helpful, please share!

So, that's it. You can participate one time, every week, or anything in between. Come, share; read, learn.

And spread the word! No sign-up or membership required.

I'm looking forward to hearing what all of you have to say, and gaining wisdom from your words.

Won't you join me in sharing your Mama Loves?

See you next Saturday!

5 comments:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

What a great idea!

I also made a huge list of registry items after the girls were born. That had really been an overwhelming experience for me, and I wanted to try to capture what I'd learned (during the first 6 weeks or so of motherhood!) to pass along to a couple of friends who were expecting.

I've amended the list several times, adding items that older kiddos will need (but you might consider registering for), and expanding on items like bibs, for which our needs have changed over the past 2 1/2 years.

My intention was to help my friends keep from feeling so overwhelmed with the registry process...so I try to preface that my 11-page list is to be read in small doses! HA! I didn't intend for it to be a novella, but I wanted to be thorough. (You're not surprised, are you?)

Looking forward to your insights!

championm2000 said...

I so agree with you about blogging making me a better mom. If anything, it has helped me slow down and find the joy/lesson/wisdom/beauty in the most ordinary events.

I will be back next week and look forward to contributing and learning from all the wonderful blog friends.

Unknown said...

Julia - this is such a great idea. I can't wait to read your responses. I blogged my "Moma Love" and linked it back to your blog. Go to my blog to read about Milkies Milk Savers.
http://adventureraisingafamily.blogspot.com/

Wendy said...

Love it Julia! Already thinking of things I can share with other Mama's!

Twinside Out said...

This is brilliant! I am so excited!