Monday, May 16, 2011

I Can Do Hard Things (and be thankful)

The thing about doing hard things...

...is that sometimes it's just so damn hard sometimes.

If you have a problem with me using the word "damn" please read the below quote:
In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer. ~Mark Twain
Yes. Things were just that hard this week.

The girls and I, one by one, have fallen victim to this nasty virus. Like a bad game of dominos.

Coughing.
Runny noses.
Cough induced vomiting.
Lack of appetite.
Clingy-ness.
Fussiness.

Don't be jealous.

Still...amist all the "hardness" there is much to be thankful for. I'm not saying I'm thankful for the virus. I'm not thankful for the coughing. I'm not really thankful for the runny noses. I'm sure as hell not thankful for the vomiting.

To say I was thankful for any of that would be a lie. Especially the vomit.

BUT--I am thankful for God's presence in all of it. I'm thankful for the blessing in the middle of all the foul-smelling, bodily-fluid, feel-like-crap, just plain hard stuff.

So--here it goes:

669. 15 month well check-up already scheduled with the pediatrician.

670. Resting during naptime.

671. Vomit being liquid, not chunky.

672. The weekend showing up when I was feeling my worst.

673. An awesome, healthy (knock on wood) husband that took care of everything for two days, so that I could rest.

_________________________________________________

Before the onslaught of sickness:

674. Playdate with Shelly and Max.

675. Footprints.

676. Necklace from Anna Ourth.

677. Gardening with Brynne.





678. Uncooperative walker who had grown out of her shoes.






679. Big step.


680. Riding on the car.



681. More irises





holy experience

6 comments:

Ordinary Girl said...

I think we had the same virus this last week, and I feel for you because it so wasn't fun. I hope you're all feeling better soon and I just have to say once again how cute your girls are. Your pictures make me want the rain to stop so we can all get outside!

Twinside Out said...

Ohhhh no. I am so sorry that you all have been so sick. I hope that you are on the mend and feeling much, much better.

I love what you wrote about the blessing in the middle of the hard time. And I am so glad you already had a check-up scheduled.

Your girls are so precious. :)

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Oh, Julia...I am so, so sorry you and the girls have been sick. I know how hard it is to have two little ones who are not well...I can't imagine being sick on top of that. I hope and pray you're on the downhill side of it, that you will all rest well this week and get back on schedule soon.

On a much sunnier note, I LOVE the "Big step" picture of Brynne! That's precious!!!

Corinne Ritz said...

The Mark Twain Quote, and your use of it was AWESOME! I say, "YOU GO GIRL!" You can conquer all. I love your Iris' and I love your gratitude. As far as the illness going through your family just remember, "This too shall pass." Kind of like labor:)

Sorry for the mish mash of comments all crammed together like that:)

Stacey said...

Your garden looks beautiful!!! Hope you guys are all feeling better, being a sick with little ones sucks!

Alice H said...

Sorry you weren't feeling well! Hope it has passed. And is that your garden? So beautiful! I love the pathways, herbs, irises, all of it. Excellent taste :)