Friday, March 18, 2011

Avoiding the Scars and Smears: True Beauty Conversations

My friend Melissa and I are continuing our conversation about Beauty this morning. We've been talking about True Beauty through a series of letters on Fridays: What is Beauty? What will we tell our daughters about Beauty? We're so glad you're joining us.
________________________________________________

Dear Melissa,

I want to be very careful in this space where we write.

Only speak words that make souls stronger.

I don't want to judge anyone for making a personal choice to undergo breast augmentation or get a Botox injection. I read this deep and rich post this week, and I feel the need to say that.

I put on make-up. I use products on my face to keep blemishes and lines away. I pluck, tweeze, and will soon be dying the ever-multiplying grey hairs on my head. I work out to keep the size of my thighs and behind respectable.

It's no different.

I use those products, yank out/color hair, and get my sweat on to enhance what God gave me. To make myself attractive to my husband, and to make myself presentable to the world.

I think part of being a Proverbs 31 woman is enhancing what God gives us--whatever that means for you. This is a careful balance, but one, I believe, is important to share with our daughters.
________________________________________________

Please follow me over at Melissa's to continue reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia,

A little bird told me you linked to my post and it's always fun to discover someone talkin' about you behind your back :).

What a lovely series you have going; such great intention in parenting your daughters. It IS so important to "do the most with what we have" and I think being r e a s o n e d in your choices goes a long way, ya know? Just thinking on those things that matter most.

Anyways....nice to meetcha! Keep on penning your heart and one day your babies will be able to read you from the inside out :).