Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

1. Mamas (or soon to be mamas), you've gotta check out the Daily Peppermint. It's the genius idea created by Andrea. Every day, one short, useful tip will show up in your email inbox. It's short, it's sweet---perfect for busy moms! I'm flattered that Andrea asked me to be a contributor. If you've got a tip, there's a spot to add it on the site.

2. I'm not about to start a debate on nurture vs. nature, but I will say this: I don't wear necklaces. If I did, the girls would yank them off. Every.single.day. my daughters have to wear their link necklaces. I have no idea where this comes from. I'm not modeling it. I'm not teaching it. It is pretty cute though.



3. Last week I mentioned I'd gotten some prints from A Happy Exchange. This shop is awesome! The very talented, Jillian, gives you the print (you just pay shipping). In exchange, she asks that you share one of the following with her: your greatest joy and how you  incorporate that into every day life, tell her how her art makes you feel, or send her a letter or note telling her how you gave to someone and how that made you feel.  

Isn't that just beautiful?! You can also find Jillian over here.

I got these three prints for the girls' room:

PAY SHIPPING ONLY- Patti Pootsie- Fairy Illustration

PAY SHIPPING ONLY- Marjorie Pootsie- Fairy Illustration

PAY SHIPPING ONLY- I'll Wade For You- Silhouette

I love gardening, which is a love I want to pass on to the girls. And the girls just love ducks. Hadley is working on perfecting her quacking noises.

4. So. When I was in sixth grade, I won a jump rope contest in gym class. Out of the entire school, I could jump the most times in one minute. 144 times. I have no idea why I still remember this.

20 years later, in bootcamp, they had jump rope contest. Guess who won? That's right, I did. This chick's still got it two decades later! 153 jumps! Woo hoo!

5. A big thank you to Mandy at My Life as Described by Twin Trials and Triumphs for the Life is Sweet Award. Mandy is the mama to twin girls a year and a month older than Brynne and Hadley, so I pay close attention, because I know in a year my girls will be about where hers are now. From her post, you can see that Mandy is lovely and intentional. She is also a fabulous southern gal who loves Crimson Tide football, ice cream and riding in the car with the sunroof open--she's hilarious and spunky, if you don't read her blog, you should!


6. If I could point your attention to a couple blogs that might be new or interesting to you:

(Tw)inside Out. This mama chronicles her life with her boy/girl twins that she calls Inchworm and Doodlebug. She's funny, passionate, and finds time to make her own stock to cook with--amazing! If you do nothing else today, you should read this post.

the climb. Cyndi is a lovely mama, also to eight month old boy/girl twins. She balances work and mothering with a gentle grace. She is currently in need of some help getting them to sleep, so if you can lend a hand, please do.  

7. I decided this spring/summer that I needed to invest in a "mom" wardrobe. I currently have about 23 pairs of black pants collecting dust in my closet. I got those pants when I worked in an office. Now, my office is at home with the girls. I've added a couple pairs of capris. I wanted them to be quick drying, look nice enough to go out and about, but also be appropriate for taking walks, bending stooping, sitting on the floor, etc. If you have any suggestions to add to my "mom" wardrobe, I'm all ears!

8. Hadley's bangs are getting really long. I don't want to trim and maintain bangs. I'd like to part her hair and put it up, but here's the trouble: her hemangioma. It's in the way, and makes it difficult to find a part. Any suggestions? I need help, and clearly Hadley agrees:


9. Tomorrow I will be 32 years old. I can remember when my parents turned 30. This makes me feel old.

10. When I was writing this post I calculated that I will be 49 years old when the girls graduate from high school. That makes me feel ancient! It also makes me wonder if I would be able to win another jump rope challenge when I'm 49.  



Photobucket

8 comments:

Cyndi said...

Julia, you're so sweet. Thanks for thinking of me. Happy birthday tomorrow! I also turn 32 next month! I always tell my husband, I feel to young to be this old!

Melissa Ann said...

Mine used to wear daddy's belt as a necklace, now they've moved on to ribbons from my bridal shower. They also wear my hair elastics and chain links as bracelets. Yep, I don't model it either... I think there's a bit of nature at work. ;)
Bows to the side or half pigtails or even a side half pony?

Happy Birthday, dear friend!

Anonymous said...

Love the nature vs nurture item...how funny! Guess some things are just innate in girls. ;-) Your new prints are adorable, and what a deal! Gotta try that. And don't feel too old...I'm already in my mid 30's & haven't even had my first baby yet, so I don't want to do the math on that, ha! Thanks for linking up!

Once Upon A Time said...

Maybe it is the amber necklaces that give them the idea? It is adorable regardless! Those prints are great and happy birthday too!

Corinne Ritz said...

I was thinking about you and your birthday coming up just the other day! I know, I can remember my parents at my age, and that is very surreal and strange for me too.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Woo hoo for you and your rope jumping...that's very cool. :)

Thank you for the beautiful shout-out. I'm so thankful to have met you! :)

And last, but certainly not least, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Just don't you dare let me hear you talk about feeling "old". You are young and beautiful...and just don't let yourself feel otherwise! I hope you enjoy your special day...celebrate yourself! You deserve it!!!

Twinside Out said...

Happy Birthday!! My favorite line is that women are like a fine wine; we get better with age. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Thank you for including me, but thank you especially for linking to the post about my sister's adoptions. There are so many kids out there who are in horrible situations, and just need to be loved on.

I didn't know that Hadley has a hemangioma!! (Is it weird that I'm excited about this? I just haven't met anyone else who even knows what a hemangioma is.) Doodle has a large one on his face. I don't have any hair suggestions (my kids are still rockin' the bald is beautiful motto, for the most part), but I hope you figure something out. I wouldn't want to maintain bangs, either!

I'm off to watch the SNL cowbell sketches, in honor of your birthday. Hope it's a great day! :)

Andrea said...

Julia, first of all Happy Birthday...a bit belated, but nonetheless you rock! I've got an inkling you'll still have it at 49 and will continue to kick booty at jump rope challenges.

Thank you for the lovely shout-out. I feel honored that you shared Daily Peppermint with your readers.

I love the Happy Exchange Shop prints. What an excellent concept and beautiful prints! Great find. Take Care!